If you are looking for an easy side dish that is super yummy and can be made ahead of time-please try this! I was a little hesitant as I grew up with my mom making this casserole with rice, so I thought I would miss that, but this turned out really good and it was not super expensive to make! I didn’t pre plan that I was going to blog it so I only took a final picture and the steps are pretty self explanatory so enjoy!
Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- 15 oz. frozen broccoli florets or fresh
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 can of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese plus 1/3 cup for topping
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. crushed black pepper
- 18 Ritz crackers for topping
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Mix together sour cream, mayo, mushroom soup, 1 cup of cheddar cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add broccoli into mixture.
- Spray nonstick spray in a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Put broccoli mixture in the dish.
- **If cooking right away do next step immediately. But if you are prepping this dish ahead of time wait to do the next step until you are ready to bake it!!
- Using a food processor, crush Ritz crackers up. Then add the melted butter in with a few pulses. (can always hand crush crackers and mix in butter by hand).
- Put crackers on top of the broccoli mixture.
- Bake in oven for 35 minutes. **If you pre made this casserole and it was in the fridge you might want to add 5-10 minutes to cooking time.
- Put the casserole in the broiler for a few minutes to brown the crumbs if they are not as crisp as you want them!