Cold winter night and your craving some brisket? Dig into that deep freezer, pull out your vacuum sealed pack and make some brisket stroganoff! That leftover brisket really comes in handy when you don’t have the time to be a slave to the smoker all night and you’re craving smoked meat. This recipe is super easy, so delicious and sure to comfort you on a snowy night.
We start with the boiling of your frozen leftover brisket in a pot on the stove for about 15 minutes. It takes longer than you think because essentially it’s like an ice brick.
Then you sauté the onions and mushrooms. Add in some flour to create a paste that will in the lo Mc run thicken your sauce. Add in beef broth (or brisket drippings), tomato paste, horseradish (really adds a good bite to the dish), parsley; red wine, salt, pepper and sour cream. While that’s simmering boil a pot of water and cook a bag of egg noodles. The final step is to add in your brisket chunks and let that sauce and brisket flavors meld for a few minutes. Pour it over egg noodles, garnish with some parsley and you’re done!
Now if you’re thinking… well I don’t have any leftover brisket. You could use ground beef for this recipe as well. Obviously not going to have that smoky flavor but the flavor of the sauce is super yummy, so it will turn out just fine!
Smoked Brisket Stroganoff
- 2 cups of smoked beef brisket
- 1 1/2 cups of brisket juice or beef broth
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 2-3 tbsp. flour
- 1 pound fresh button mushrooms sliced
- salt and pepper
- 12 oz sour cream
- 1 tsp-1 tbsp. horseradish depending on your liking
- 1 tbsp. parsley
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cup cooked noodles (we use egg noodles)
- Defrost your frozen brisket.
- Heat up 1 tbsp. of olive oil to medium heat and sauté onions until they are soft. Add in sliced mushrooms and 3 tbsp. of butter and cook mushrooms.
- Add the flour into the onion/mushroom mixture to create a paste. Stir in the brisket juice/beef broth. Add in the tomato paste.
- *Start cooking egg noodles according to package.
- Once the mixture comes back to a soft boil. add in the red wine, sour cream, horseradish, parsley and a bit of salt and pepper.
- Let it come to a slow boil again. Add in the smoked brisket-until its all warmed through.
- Serve over egg noodles garnish with parsley!