Wiltse’s farm is a place I have shared before on a previous blog posts that is a fabulous place for fresh produce! It’s our weekend adventure. We are super cool 😬. I can’t wait to go there this October to pick our own pumpkin from their fields!
So butternut squash soup was just the ticket to cure our pre-Fall jitters!
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 tbsp margarine
- 6 cups peeled and cubes butternut squash
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp of cayenne pepper (I addded more to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2-8 ounce packages of cream cheese
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- *optional: bag of instant popcorn For garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 to roast the butternut squash.
- Cut the squash in half. Scoop out seeds. Drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper on flesh side
- Bake flesh side DOWN on foiled pan for 45 minutes to roast.
- In large saucepan, sauté onions, garlic and margarine until tender.
- Chop roasted squash into cubes ( can keep skin on or can take it off)
- Add squash, chicken broth, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil, cook 20 minutes or until squash is tender (kind of like when you are making mashed potatoes)
- Purée squash mixture and add in cream cheese until batch is smooth. (I used my hand held blender wand-amazing appliance for many reasons)
- Let soup simmer until ready to serve.
- Optional: pop a bag of popcorn to use as garnish with your soup
- Enjoy friends!